January 24, 2020
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Recognizing that many of you may have questions regarding recent media reports about the novel coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan, China, I would like to share with you a fact sheet from York Region Public Health (YRPH). It is attached. A website has also been created where you can find updated information as it becomes available: www.york.ca/coronavirus
The health and safety of students and staff is our top priority at the York Catholic District School Board (YCDSB). We are working closely with our public health partners to monitor the situation in China and ensure a safe environment for everyone in our schools.
At this time, YRPH is advising that the risk to York Region residents is low. There have been no confirmed cases of novel coronavirus in Canada. Preventing the spread of the disease is similar to preventing the spread of influenza (the flu); YRPH says there are no additional actions that need to be taken.
Here are some tips from YRPH to help us all stay healthy:
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands
- Wash your hands often with soap and water – or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Cough and sneeze into the bend of your arm or sleeve, or use a tissue, and be sure to cover your mouth; dispose of the used tissue in the garbage and wash your hands
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces
- If you are sick, stay home until you feel well enough to get back to your regular activities
Staff at all YCDSB schools are mindful to practice these prevention techniques regularly, and we encourage students to do the same. As parents, your partnership in practicing these techniques at home is a great help.
If you have any concerns about your health or the health of your family, please contact your doctor or YRPH directly. Thank you for your ongoing support.
Ab Falconi, Director of Education